Frequently asked questions
About the apps
- What is the Michel Thomas method?
Over a period of twenty-five years, Michel Thomas developed and perfected a unique method of teaching languages. His approach gives startling results within a remarkably short time, all without the need for books, memorizing, or homework. In essence, Michel Thomas breaks a language down to its component parts and enables learners to reconstruct the language themselves to form their own sentences, to say what they want, when they want. The experience of learning a language becomes so exciting and satisfying that it stimulates self-motivation and builds confidence.
- Who is the app for?
Anyone can learn a language with Michel Thomas. The app is for complete beginners and makes no assumption of knowledge of any language other than English, but it is also appropriate for anyone who has studied a language before and has forgotten much of it or lacks confidence in speaking.
- How should I use the app?
- Relax! Make yourself comfortable and try to let go of the tensions and anxieties traditionally associated with learning.
- Start at the beginning of the course. Whatever your existing knowledge of the language you are learning, it is important that you follow the way that Michel builds up your knowledge of the language.
- Do not write or take any notes. Remove notebooks, pens, dictionaries and anything else associated with learning at school.
- Do not try to remember. It is important that you do not try to memorize specific words or expressions. It is a basic principle of the Michel Thomas method that the responsibility for the student’s learning lies with the teacher. With Michel Thomas as your teacher, your learning will be based on understanding, and what you understand you don’t forget.
- Interact fully with the recordings. Use the pause button and respond out loud (or in your head, if you are in a public place) before the students’ responses. This is essential. You do not learn by repetition but by thinking out the answers to each question; it is by your own thought process that you truly learn.
- Give yourself time to think. The pause button is the key to your learning!
- Do not get annoyed with yourself if you make a mistake. Mistakes are part of the learning process. As long as you understand why you made the mistake and you have the ‘ahaa’ reaction – ‘yes, of course, I understand now’ – you are doing fine. If you made a mistake and you do not understand why, you may have been daydreaming for a few seconds. The course is structured so that you cannot go on unless you fully understand everything, so just go back a little and you’ll soon be back on track.
- Stop whenever it suits you. You will always be able to pick up from where you left off.
- What level of language will I achieve?
The 8-hour course will give you a practical and functional use of the spoken language. Michel Thomas teaches the everyday conversational language that will allow you to communicate in a wide variety of situations, empowered by the ability to create your own sentences and use the language naturally. You will absorb the vocabulary and grammatical structures and, in addition, will be introduced to elements of writing and reading.
- How quickly can I learn with the app?
One of the most remarkable features of the Michel Thomas method is the speed with which results are achieved. A knowledge of the language that will take months of conventional study can be achieved in a matter of hours. Michel masterfully guides you through the instructional process at a very rapid rate – yet the process will appear informal, relaxed and unhurried. The excitement of learning will motivate you to continue listening and learning for as long a time as is practical for you. This will enable you to make progress faster than you ever imagined possible.
- What is the Language Builder course?
The Michel Thomas Language Builders take the form of a ‘one-to-one’ lecture with Michel Thomas, building on the words and phrases in his 8-hour course. The courses provide confidence in pronunciation, increase your word-power and consolidate your knowledge in just two hours.
- I’ve got the first hour. How do I download more hours?
From the app’s main overview screen, go to Your Course. Tap Hour 2, and tap Buy Now. Simply repeat this for any other hour you wish to purchase.
- I upgraded my iPhone/iPod Touch: can I re-download the hours I’ve already bought?
Yes. Go to the app’s main overview screen and tap the info ‘i’ button. Go to the furthest right page, and you’ll see a ‘Restore Purchases’ button. Tap that and enter your iTunes password. When you go back to Your Course, you should see each hour downloading again.
- I’ve bought an hour, but it won’t download. What do I do?
Firstly, try restarting the app - you should be presented with an option to resume downloads in progress. If that doesn’t work, make sure your network connection is working by trying to access www.michelthomasapp.com using Safari. If you are still having difficulty, email us at email@example.com and we’ll do our best to get you up and running again. We recently experienced some temporary technical issues with this support email address, but we're pleased to say these are now resolved.
- Can I use the app with iOS4?
Yes, the current version of the App is tested in iOS4. If you have an earlier version installed, please update to the latest.